If you’re a parent who’s going through a divorce or a custody battle, you need the best child custody attorney on your side: one who will look out for your children’s best interests every step of the way.
But how do you find the best child custody attorney to represent you? Where do you look, and how can you know that you’re working with the best one? These are great questions to have when searching for a child custody lawyer. The following resources can help you find the best child custody lawyer:
The best resource for a parent who is looking for information on a good child custody attorney is to ask for references from other people. You can get credible referrals by:
- Asking friends and family members for personal recommendations
- Seeking advice from the clerk of the court at the court office
- Asking for recommendations from other parents, including strangers who currently have child custody cases at the child support office
- Asking for referrals from the state bar association
- And depending on your state, some family courts may have a network of attorneys.
To work with the best child custody attorney, you must interview potential candidates before hiring them. Here are crucial areas you should focus on when interviewing potential child custody lawyers:
- Personality and style. As a parent going through a child custody battle, make sure that your attorney’s personality and style match your own. It doesn’t have to be exactly the same, but hire an attorney who’s approachable because there will be many questions along the way.
- Experience in similar cases. If you’re looking for the best child custody attorney for your situation, one crucial component to focus on is the experience in similar cases. Look for an attorney with skills in the areas your case requires.
- Is your case complex and high conflict?
- Does your child have special needs?
- Are there any interstate elements to consider?
Whatever the particulars, make sure the attorney you hire is ready to handle them.
- Area of specialization. Just like experience, specialization is something to consider when trying to find the best child custody lawyer to represent you. Note that all custody attorneys practice family law, but not all family law attorneys are custody lawyers. Many family law attorneys are well-versed in multiple areas, but if an attorney specializes in high-asset divorce cases, they may not be the right choice when it comes to custody cases. So, do your homework and make sure the skill set matches your requirements.
- Knowledge of jurisdiction laws. Every state has different laws and regulations. So, if you live in Colorado Springs, the best custody attorney for your situation is a Colorado Springs child custody attorney. Because they know the ins and outs of Colorado law and how to aim for an optimal outcome.
- Communication. Your custody attorney is someone you have to communicate with, and who has to communicate with your spouse, other lawyers, and judges. So communication is crucial. The person you hire is also a person you will spend time with and work with. So, make sure you’re comfortable with them, confident in their abilities, and you’re able to share with them what you need. During your custody battle, you’ll face many conflicts, avoiding strife with your attorney will make your life easier.
- Finances. Hiring an attorney isn’t cheap. So, to hire the best child custody attorney, you must consider your financial resources, and what you can spend and can’t spend. Knowing beforehand how an attorney charges can help you manage expenses and maintain realistic expectations of the cost.
- Compassion. Divorce and custody battles are intense and emotional experiences. So, the best child custody attorney for you is someone who knows this and understands what’s at stake for you and your children. You don’t need someone to hold your hand every step of the way, but you want to find an attorney you can work with on a practical level towards a common goal. And a little compassion doesn’t hurt anyone.
- Free consultation. As a parent going through a custody battle, you may want to know whether a child custody attorney will offer a free consultation. A free consultation will give you an idea of whether you will be able to work with the attorney.
If you can’t afford to pay a child custody attorney, you may qualify for a court-appointed attorney. A court-appointed will represent you, the same way a paid attorney does. The county family courts have a network of pro bono attorneys to assist with custody cases.
Resources that can Help You Investigate an Attorney’s Reputation
There are many resources that you can use to check an attorney’s reputation, these include:
- The attorney directory. Checking the attorney directory in your state will let you know if an attorney is in good standing with the state bar. This will also let you know if their license has been suspended and, if so, the reasons for the suspension. Most states require attorneys to reveal this information to potential clients. Further, an attorney can’t practice law in states where their license has been suspended.
- Ask around. If you live in a small community, there’s a good chance an attorney’s reputation will be known around the community. You can inquire about potential custody attorneys with someone else or multiple people in your community.
Make Your Decision
After interviewing multiple attorneys that handle child custody and checking the available resources, review your notes on each candidate and compare your likes and dislikes. Consider costs and fees, too, and choose the best fit for your needs and budget. Child custody is a serious legal battle, which will have serious repercussions for you and your children, so make sure you hire the best custody attorney you can find.
Do You Need the Best Child Custody Attorney in Colorado Springs?
If you’re dealing with a child custody battle in Colorado Springs, then you need help from an experienced family law attorney that knows child custody laws. Brighter Day℠ Law is one of the top-rated child custody law firms in Colorado Springs. Contact us right now at (719) 225-4443 or chat with us online to schedule an initial consultation. We’ll identify your legal issues by asking you about your situation, and we’ll answer all your queries, too. We’ll explain the child custody process, and talk about possible outcomes for your case.
Our team of dedicated family law attorneys will not only guide you through every step of this emotional journey and represent your best interests but we’ll also be there for emotional support. Even though everything seems calm and agreeable, don’t go it alone. We’ll make sure you don’t make any mistakes that you could regret later. Don’t wait! Call us today!